I know it seems silly to have a checklist for feeling peaceful, but there are times when you might forget. Just like you can never have too much health, or too much prosperity, you can never have too much peace. Peace is, in my mind, the only thing that truly matters in life. Any other virtue is made colorless without the foundation of peace to hold it up.
Love without peace is toxic. Money without peace is stressful. Achievement without peace is empty. Adventure without peace is fruitless. Bottom line, if you have peace, you enjoy your life and everything in it.
I’ve forgotten how to be peaceful many times. I’ve actually forgotten for years at a time! Most of my adult life had been jam packed with inner and outer drama, anxiety, depression, and self induced stress. Eventually all this disharmony caught up with me, and it eroded my health and life. When peace isn’t a priority, life will sit you down one way or another, and will show you why you should make it a priority. Some people listen, and choose peace.
You might forget how to be peaceful sometimes. And that’s ok. That’s part of the human experience. A great thing is that you get a brand new moment every second, and a chance to remember peace, and to live from peace as much as you can.
What is peace? Peace is a physical and mental state of non-resistance, and your most natural and healthy state.
Here is a list of things that foster peace. It is my list, made more for myself, but the contents are universal.
- Sit in Silence
- Feel your emotions. It’s the only way past them.
- Move your body
- Unplug. All the time.
- Get in nature. As often as you can.
- Let go of resistance
- Listen to your instincts
- Do what you know needs to be done
- Do nothing
- Pray, and then let it go
- Don’t believe your thoughts
- Don’t resist your thoughts
- Don’t let your thoughts overrun your life
- Quit all complaining
- Give your undivided attention to each person you speak to
- Give your undivided attention to anything beautiful
- Ask the right questions
- Know there is nothing outside of you that can bring you true happiness
- Know that true happiness is only attained through connection to the All That Is, the I Am, the Soul.
- Take time to cook healthy food
- Take the time to taste what you cook, without needless distractions or stressors.
- Take time to relax
- Walk mindfully
- Clean mindfully
- Get rid of material objects that you don’’t enjoy anymore. Be ruthless in this.
- Enjoy healthy relationships. Do not put this off.
- End disharmonious relationships. Do not put this off.
- Know the past does not exist
- Know the future does not exist
- Know that all “problems” are temporary
- Be exactly who you are
- Be ok if you currently don’t know who you are
- Do what you want to do
- Be ok if you currently don’t know what you want to do.
Know that the more you choose peace, the more peace you will have in life.
There is nothing more important than peace.